Last updated: December 2020
1. Introduction and general terms
2. Our online services
3. What information will the Institute collect about me?
4. How does the Institute collect data?
5. How will the Institute use the information it collects about me?
6. What if I am a user aged under 18?
7. How long will the Institute keep my personal information?
8. Your data rights
9. Contacting the Institute about this Privacy Notice
10. Changes to this Privacy Notice
11. Record of Processing Activities and Retention Policy
Introduction and general terms
At the British Psychoanalytical Society, incorporating the Institute of Psychoanalysis (the Institute) we are committed to protecting the privacy of our members, audiences, service users and visitors. This policy relates to our use of any personal information you provide to us, or that we collect from you.
In order to provide you with the full range of services, we sometimes need to collect information about you. This Privacy Notice explains the following:
- what information we may collect about you;
- how we will use information we collect about you;
- when we may use your details to contact you;
- whether we will disclose your details to anyone else;
- how long we will retain your details;
- your choices regarding the personal information you provide to us.
In addition to using your data lawfully, we use appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure that your data is held securely. The Institute’s websites contain hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties which will have their own privacy policies and whose practices are outside of our control. You should check the privacy practices of any third-party website before disclosing any personal information. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third-party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
Our online services
Hosted by UK Fast, managed by Hydrant
Hosted by HowToMoodle, managed by HowToMoodle
Hosted by Vimeo, managed by the Institute
Hosted by YouTube, managed by the Institute
Hosted by Facebook, managed by the Institute
Hosted by Twitter, managed by the Institute
Hosted by LinkedIn, managed by the Institute
What information will the Institute collect about me?
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, preferred pronoun, date of birth, gender, username or similar identifier, title.
- Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers, as well as details of any additional persons for whom copy correspondence is required.
- Correspondence Data includes details of your correspondence with us (including online or over the telephone).
- Image Data including photographs and video images (from CCTV footage).
- Financial Data includes bank account, payment card details.
- Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our website, products and services (including the data obtained from cookies, web logs and other similar technologies that monitor the use of the Site).
- Marketing and Communications Preferences Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
How does the Institute collect data?
We may collect information from you whenever you contact us or have any involvement with us for example when you:
Visit the website
- Enquire about our activities or services
- Sign up to receive news about our activities
- Post content onto our social media sites
- Apply for or enquire about a training course
- Communicate with the clinic
- Take part in our events or purchase an online course
- Use or contact the library or archive services
- You applied for a job with us
- Contact us in any way including online, email, phone, SMS, social media or post
How will the Institute use the information it collects about me?
The Institute uses personal information for several purposes including the following:
- To complete an event booking and to provide you with information about that event
- To process and respond to an enquiry submitted by you
- To provide a service requested
- To process an application form or subscription
- To send you information about relevant events or training courses that you may have shown an interest in or previously attended.
What if I am a user aged under 18?
If you are aged 18 or under, please get your parent/guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to the Institute.
How long will the Institute keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with the Institute. We might also retain anonymised data after any identifiable data has been removed, for analytical purposes. Data retention periods are highlighted on the relevant event or application form or can be found by contacting the Data Protection Lead, Karina Zorlakkis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your data rights
Under data protection law, we need to inform you of your personal data rights. This includes your right to:
- be informed
- restriction of processing
- object to processing
- data portability
- raise a concern
You can find out more about these rights here: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/
If you have any questions or concerns, or would like to exercise any of your personal data rights, please contact the Data Protection Lead, Karina Zorlakkis at email@example.com.
Contacting the Institute about this Privacy Notice
If you any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice please contact the Data Protection Lead, Karina Zorlakkis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, you can write to us. Our postal address is:
Data Protection Lead
Institute of Psychoanalysis
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may make changes to our Privacy Notice from time to time. Please check back periodically. We advise you to check for updates each time you provide us with your personal data.
This policy was last updated December 2020.
Record of processing activities and retention policy
You can view our record of processing activities which includes details of our retention periods:
*We are experiencing technical difficulties with adding links to documents. This document will be added soon so please keep checking back. If you require a copy urgently, please email email@example.com.*