Huge thanks to all who made it to the epff9: interiors, exteriors, which has proven to be a hugely successful event.
The theme of epff9, which took place from 2-5 November 2017 at BAFTA, was Interiors/Exteriors. These apparently opposed territories can at times harmoniously coexist, while at others they clash with each other in painful, disturbing or, possibly, transformative ways.
This idea is highly pertinent to both cinema and psychoanalysis. Psychoanalysis is at its very core about how we experience within us what is happening in the world outside. Conversely, it also investigates how the roles we assume in external reality – particularly in relationships – are shaped and affected by our inner worlds.
Cinema, too, has always explored ideas around relatedness and disconnection; surfaces and depths; visible images and what lies behind them; our deep inner worlds and the vast, sometimes unfathomable world beyond us.
Watch the trailer for epff9 below.
Click here to read feedback about epff9.
The speakers' presentations can be downloaded below:
- Introduction to epff9 by Andrea Sabbadini
- Michael Brearley's paper on Interiors/Exteriors
- Subjective/Objective Realities on Film by Peter Evans
- Transitional Spaces in Architecture and Psychoanalysis: The Setting and the Social Condenser by Jane Rendell
- An introduction to discussion about the film ”the Girl, the Mother and the Demons” of Suzanne Osten by Anders Berge
- Gordian Maugg and Sabine Wollnik-Krusche - Fritz Lang
- Behind the Façade by Charles Drazin
- Gloom at the top by Michael Halton
- The presence of the absence - On "One week and a day" by Noa Ben-Nun Melamed
- The Capacity for Forgiveness in Cinema and Psychoanalysis, with reference to The Documentarian by Ivars Zviedris by Helen Taylor Robinson
- FUOCOAMMARE byPietro Roberto Goisis
- Imperfections of the Familiar: A Psychoanalytic Reflection on ‘Perfetti Sconosciuti’ (Perfect Strangers) by Kannan Navaratnem
- Sigmund Freud, The Origins of Psychoanalysis and its Relevance to Modern Times by Romolo Petrini